Work Permits



All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit. Minors who have high school diplomas, have passed the state proficiency examination or are performing certain types of employment are exempt from this requirement (see below).

Minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and academic requirements in order to obtain work permits. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork or health of the minor is being impaired by the employment.


Minors who have high school diplomas or passed the state proficiency examination
Employment type:

Private homes doing occasional odd jobs
Sale or delivery of newspaper, if self-employed
Agricultural or domestic work on property owned, operated, or controlled by minor's parents

Work Permits Must

Be renewed at the start of each new school year or when the student obtains a new job.
Be kept on file at the minor's work site.

Workers' Compensation Insurance

. All minors must be covered by Workers' Compensation Insurance, including minors employed by parents and minors employed by businesses operating from a private residence.

Hours Minors Are Allowed to Work

Ages 16-17

School in Session

4 hours maximum per day Monday-Thursday.
8 hours maximum per day Friday-Sunday.
32 total hours per week
5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. if no school next day

School in Session

Student Enrolled in Work Experience Education

8 hours maximum per day
48 total hours per week
5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. any day of the week Summer/Vacation
8 hours maximum per day
48 total hours per week
5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. any day of the week

Ages 14-15

School in Session

3 hours maximum per day Mon.-Fri.
8 hours maximum per day Sat.-Sun.
18 total hours per week
7 a.m. to 7 p.m.


8 hours maximum per day
40 total hours per week
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. any day of the week (summer hours 6/1 through Labor Day 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)

Ages 12-13


Prohibited in firms subject to Fair Labor Standards Act. For further information call: Federal Wage Hour Office (619) 557-5110 Under

Age 12

Prohibited except in entertainment industry. For entertainment work permits contact: State Industrial Welfare Commissioner's Office (619) 220-5451


In most cases, a minor must be paid the minimum wage.
If an employee works a split shift, he/she must be paid one extra hour at the minimum wage.
If an employee reports to work but is not given work and is sent home, the employee is owed a minimum of 2 hours of pay.
If an employee is asked not to clock in, the employee is free to leave and cannot be required to wait without being paid as he/she is under the direction and control of the employer.

Prohibited Employment

Hazardous Occupations for All Minors Federal Law

The Federal Government, under the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA), has listed Hazardous Occupations in which minors under the age of 18 years are prohibited from working.

Motor vehicle driving on public roads (This does not prohibit a minor from driving on private property e.g. auto dealer lot)
Power-driven woodworking machines
Exposure to radioactive substances
Power-driven hoisting apparatus (Includes automobile hoist, lift truck, fork lift, elevator, crane, derrick, bobcat, etc.)
Power-driven metal forming, punching, shearing machines (Includes rolling machines, pressing or punching machines, bending machines, etc.)
Power-driven bakery machines (Includes dough mixer, batter mixer, bread pider, molding machine, bread slicing and wrapping, cookie or cracker machine.)
Power-driven paper-products machines (Includes paper bailers, box crushers, etc.)
Power-driven circular saws, band saws, guillotine shears
Roofing operations
Excavation operations
For a complete list, contact the Federal Wage Hour Office at (619) 557-5110

Minors Under 18 Years of Age

Selling or serving alcoholic beverages
Building or construction work of any kind
Delivering goods from motor vehicles
In the vicinity of moving machinery
Hazardous occupations
Operating an auto or truck
In the vicinity of explosives

Hazardous Occupations for Minors Under 16 Years of Age California Law

In or about a gasoline service station except as cashiers, clerical workers, or merchandise labelers
Public messenger service
In or about dangerous equipment power driven machinery, aircraft, or vessels

Summer Permits

Working minors who have not graduated from high school need work permits for their new jobs, even through the summer months. A work permit is needed for every job.

San Diego Unified School District issues work permits for minors residing within the district boundaries or enrolled in district schools. During non-school periods (summer and spring break), minors must have their work permits issued by the Work Permit Office (instead of their school) at 6735 Gifford Way, Room 3, in Linda Vista. (858) 627-7355

Work permit applications are available at all Middle and Senior High Summer School Sites and are available in the Summer School office during Summer School hours. The applications are also available at the Work Permit Office, located at 6735 Gifford Way, Room 3, San Diego, CA 92111.

Minors must have their employer complete the employer portion of the work permit application, obtain their parent or guardian's signature and take the completed application with proof of their age to the Work Permit Office from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday -- Friday. Upon review of the information for compliance with child labor laws and verification of the minor's age, the work permit will be issued and the minor should take the work permit to his/her employer.

Work permits expire one week after school starts and minors who are still working must renew their work permit through their school.

Selling to passing motorists: newspapers, candy, flowers, or other merchandise or commodities
Selling door-to-door unless the following conditions are met:

Minors work in pairs as team
One adult supervisor for ten or fewer minors
Within sight or sound of supervisor once every 15 minutes
Returned to home or rendezvous point daily
Employer has complied with IWC registration requirements

Contact Information

College, Career Technical Education Work Permit Office
Revere Center, Room 3
6735 Gifford Way San Diego, CA 92111
(858) 627-7355

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.